The Red Knight

This project was created over several days for Artfight 2022. I picked this character because of the unique design and medieval outfit, which was a lot of fun to try and realize in 3D. Find the artist's work here: https://www.instagram.com/littlemure_/?

Modeled entirely in Maya 2022. Groom for the feathered crest on the helmet began as a blockout from Zbrush, then converted to groom splines in Xgen for Maya. Body groomed with XGen interactive editor. Pose came from Mixamo with corrections sculpted in Zbrush. Textured in Substance Painter 2021. Rendered and lit in Arnold.

As always, the project began with reference gathering.  I referred to these images for modeling and surfacing, alongside the original art that inspired the project.

As always, the project began with reference gathering. I referred to these images for modeling and surfacing, alongside the original art that inspired the project.

I started with some research into medieval textiles since they were such a big part of this project.  I was reminded of the Bayeaux Tapestry, which is where I drew inspiration for the patches on the front of the gambeson (quilted armor)

I started with some research into medieval textiles since they were such a big part of this project. I was reminded of the Bayeaux Tapestry, which is where I drew inspiration for the patches on the front of the gambeson (quilted armor)

Details from Substance showing the parallels of the gambeson and the Bayeaux Tapestry.  I aimed for a blend of realism and stylization which really appeals to me.

Details from Substance showing the parallels of the gambeson and the Bayeaux Tapestry. I aimed for a blend of realism and stylization which really appeals to me.

I built out the bar scene using assets from Quixel megascans.  I experimented with volumetric lights for the first time to get the rays cast through the window.

I built out the bar scene using assets from Quixel megascans. I experimented with volumetric lights for the first time to get the rays cast through the window.

Turnaround of the character's pose with various angles.  Pose was developed with Mixamo and polish sculpting in Zbrush.  Groom was done in Xgen.

Turnaround of the character's pose with various angles. Pose was developed with Mixamo and polish sculpting in Zbrush. Groom was done in Xgen.

Closeups of the boots and sword.

Closeups of the boots and sword.